From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: webrsync {SOLVED}
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 02:59:44
1 On 2020-02-23 16:47, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > > emerge-webrsync has just eaten my /usr/portage :-( ;-(
6 > Offhand I'm not sure why it broke, but the gentoo repo is completely
7 > disposable. When this sort of thing happens I generally just:
8 >
9 > cd /usr
10 > mv portage portage-old
11 > emerge-webrsync or emerge --sync
12
13 It was 100% self inflicted. What I'd done to cause it was a bit stupid,
14 but no document I know explicitly says "don't do this", so I think a
15 follow up might be of some value.
16
17 In a desperate act to satisfy the ever increasing build space
18 requirements for firefox and its kin, I'd symlinked /var/tmp/portage to
19 a subdirectory of /usr/portage. And webrsync does "rsync ... --delete
20 ...", so now you see where this is going.
21
22 Fortunately, as you say, the recovery was easy once I knew what went
23 wrong.
24
25 > You might consider moving the sync location out of /usr while you're
26 > at it. Also, if you haven't already done so get
27 > /usr/portage/distfiles outside of the repo directory. For new
28 > installs both of these are moved to /var in non-nested directories,
29 > but existing installs will continue to use their present locations.
30
31 But I already have a bunch of symlinks to juggle the space requirements
32 and I would rather not revisit that, right now. On my system /var is in
33 the / filesystem and doesn't have that much space (less than the 8G
34 necessary to build firefox). At some future spring cleaning time,
35 maybe.
36
37 Thanks for the help.
40 Ian