From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Open Question: The feasibility of a complete portage binhost
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:47:00
1 On 21/01/2015 17:42, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 21/01/2015 15:23, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
4 >>> On 01/21/2015 07:47 AM, Sam Bishop wrote:
5 >>>>> So I've been thinking crazy thoughts.
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>> Theoretically it can't be that hard to do a complete package binhost for gentoo.
8 >>> I love that you qualify this with "theoretically."
9 >>>
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> To be clear, when i say complete, Im referring to building, all
12 >>>>> versions of all ebuilds marked stable or unstable on amd64, with every
13 >>>>> combination of use flags.
14 >>> Every ebuild with every combination of USE flags? This is likely
15 >>> impossible, and definitely not feasible.
16 >>
17 >> A sentence: flameyes' blog describes just how long it takes to do basic
18 >> runs and the difficulties attached
21 > To be fair, this project wouldn't have to deal with all the error
22 > reporting/etc which the tinderbox does have to deal with. It also
23 > won't be predominantly run in conditions where failures are
24 > anticipated (new system packages, etc). It also doesn't have to do
25 > tests/etc, though that would obviously be nice. Obviously it will
26 > still take just as long to build.
29 To be equally fair, I was responding to the OP's idea that it is
30 feasible to do this:
31
32 "To be clear, when i say complete, Im referring to building, all
33 versions of all ebuilds marked stable or unstable on amd64, with every
34 combination of use flags."
35
36 That is well-nigh impossible in any reasonable time frame. How many
37 packages in the tree? My trusty find command and some guessing tell me
38 around 18,000, plus 8309 lines in profiles/use.*. I shudder to think how
39 much compiling that will take.
40
41 I mentioned Diego's tinderbox because that's a real-life example of
42 building everything in a build-host type environment and how long it
43 takes to compile just one run.
46 > Again, I suggest walking before running here. Try building a binpkg
47 > repository for @world with only kde-meta in the world file on the kde
48 > desktop profile with no other changes other than # jobs/etc (or pick
49 > gnome if you prefer). See how much effort that takes to get working
50 > (and keep up to date) and use that as a guide for what it will take to
51 > go beyond that. Just that would be very useful - it would be a great
52 > tool for anybody who manages to break their toolchains or dealing with
53 > a very stale install.
56 Agreed. I think what would be useful in real life would be binpkgs for
57 each profile in the tree with default USE for each, done once a week or
58 once a fortnight. Think in terms of stage3 raised to the next level.
59 Useful for getting oneself out of a jam - it's quite surprising how many
60 people have deleted gcc or all versions of python then come here for
61 advice. Usually they get told to unpack the package from stage3 in a
62 chroot - recent binpkgs are a cool nice-to-have.
67 Alan McKinnon
68 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com