From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Open Question: The feasibility of a complete portage binhost
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:42:47
1 On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 21/01/2015 15:23, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
3 >> On 01/21/2015 07:47 AM, Sam Bishop wrote:
4 >>> > So I've been thinking crazy thoughts.
5 >>> >
6 >>> > Theoretically it can't be that hard to do a complete package binhost for gentoo.
7 >> I love that you qualify this with "theoretically."
8 >>
9 >>> >
10 >>> > To be clear, when i say complete, Im referring to building, all
11 >>> > versions of all ebuilds marked stable or unstable on amd64, with every
12 >>> > combination of use flags.
13 >> Every ebuild with every combination of USE flags? This is likely
14 >> impossible, and definitely not feasible.
15 >
16 > A sentence: flameyes' blog describes just how long it takes to do basic
17 > runs and the difficulties attached
20 To be fair, this project wouldn't have to deal with all the error
21 reporting/etc which the tinderbox does have to deal with. It also
22 won't be predominantly run in conditions where failures are
23 anticipated (new system packages, etc). It also doesn't have to do
24 tests/etc, though that would obviously be nice. Obviously it will
25 still take just as long to build.
26
27 Again, I suggest walking before running here. Try building a binpkg
28 repository for @world with only kde-meta in the world file on the kde
29 desktop profile with no other changes other than # jobs/etc (or pick
30 gnome if you prefer). See how much effort that takes to get working
31 (and keep up to date) and use that as a guide for what it will take to
32 go beyond that. Just that would be very useful - it would be a great
33 tool for anybody who manages to break their toolchains or dealing with
34 a very stale install.
38 Rich