From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:44:18
1 On 19-Apr-13 17:52, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2
3 > Well, for me, XenServer-based virtualization is very very simple. And if
4 > I compile the kernel with all Xen PV (paravirtualized) 'FrontEnds', it
5 > runs near-natively.
6 >
7 > Only the xend daemon need some 'tweaking' to run properly.
8 >
9 > Do a Google search for "gentoo xenserver" and if you find pages written
10 > by me, those are my experiences running Gentoo on top of XenServer,
11 > successfully.
12
13 What I had in mind is administration of hypervisor itself.
14 ESXi is feature-rich product, and to handle all its possibilities
15 (i.e. vMotion, vShield, HA, FT, vCenter, DRS/DPM, FW, etc) one have
16 to spend quite long time by studying and the learning curve is
17 very steep (again, I'm comparing with VServer or OpenVZ/Virtuozzo,
18 I do not know XenServer).
19
20 Deploying Gentoo-guest (or "VM" / "DomU" as they call it) is
21 actually very easy. And after reading your wiki-page I'd say
22 it is easier on ESXi then on XenServer, because there is actually
23 no difference between installing Gentoo on VM, or real hardware
24 (no need for special compile options or special device-files,
25 no limit on boot-loader, etc.).
26
27 Jarry
28 --
30 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
31 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.