From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SystemRescueCD with nonm
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2019 09:58:28
1 On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 03:15:20 GMT Jack wrote:
2 > On 2018.12.31 21:20, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Monday, 31 December 2018 19:01:16 GMT Jack wrote:
4 > > > Couldn't you just dd it to a USB drive (without needing to mount the
5 > > > iso first) and then mount the drive?
6 > >
7 > > I did do that, then tried to boot the USB drive. It wouldn't boot.
8 >
9 > Why didn't it boot? Sorry if you said, and I missed it.
10
11 No, I didn't say, but I should have. The BIOS didn't recognise it as a
12 bootable device.
13
14 I suspect hardware problems on that machine, a 32-bit, single-core Atom, and I
15 have a new SSD in the post, so I'm not too worried about it yet.
16
17 > My thought is that after copying/dd'ing to the usb drive, mount the
18 > drive, and play with the grub config file, or whatever, to deal with
19 > whatever stops it from booting. You could blacklist modules, or add
20 > boot parameters, or ..... Of course, if you don't know what's
21 > actually causing the problem, it's harder to avoid.
22 >
23 > Maybe you'll figure it out in a New Year's miracle!
24
25 Hah! :)
28 Regards,
29 Peter.