From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Possible needed lib missing?
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 11:14:13
1 On Thursday 27 December 2007, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > I'm building up a minimal install a bit at a time... Or I should say
3 > building down. It was a full install at one point.
4 >
5 > I'm getting strange behavior in vim when accessing the minimal machine
6 > thru ssh from another gentoo box.
7 >
8 > When using vims search tool on the remote (/) normally you can scroll
9 > thru previous search strings with up/down arrow. But I'm getting <up>
10 > printed literally instead when I press up/down to access a previous
11 > search.
12 >
13 > It seems a safe bet it has to do with paring down the install since it
14 > worked normally previously.
15 >
16 > I've edited down the world list, changed a number of USE flags,
17 > changed the profile to hardened/x86/minimal. Ran emerge -vuDN world
18 > followed by `emerge --depclean' and `revdep-rebuild'. All succeeded.
19 >
20 > Does anyone know what library might be involved with scrolling
21 > previous/next with up/down arrow keys in vim? I thought readline
22 > right away but that is installed and at the newest version.
23 >
24 > I also thought it might be from coming in via ssh with xterm going to
25 > a console only install so I tried: TERM=linux ssh [...]
26 >
27 > It made no difference at all.
28 >
29 > Any ideas what else to look at?
30
31 Last time I was troubled with a similar behaviour over ssh, I discovered that
32 the default shell for the user on the remote machine (CentOS) was
33 not /bin/bash, but /bin/<zsh, or something_else>. Changed this to good ol'
34 bash and all these inconsistencies between my Gentoo and the remote box
35 disappeared.
36
37 HTH.
38 --