From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 21:06:16
1 On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 22:09:49 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > I think the Handbook is getting better and better. However the
4 > > systemd-openrc choice is something that needs to be explained early
5 > > in the handbook from a neutral prospective. Let's face it, lots of
6 > > folks become interested in Gentoo, often when they hear that you do
7 > > not have to run systemd. I'm not saying push one over the other, but
8 > > explain and delineate that choice
9 > > *early* in the handbook. WE owe the larger linux community that
10 > > wisdom:: that gentoo has made peace with systemd and openrc:: imho.
11 >
12 > systemd-openrc is just one more choice the user has to make, except that
13 > this one is interpreted as involving PID 1, in the minds of some this
14 > seems to invoke large amounts of $MAGIC.
15
16 The handbook covers choices like bootloader, system logger, cron and
17 several more, but the systemd instructions are not part of the handbook.
18 That choice is mentioned, so it should be explained in the handbook, not
19 an external reference.
20
21 > Where does it end?
22
23 In fire!
24
25 > > Kids always compare new foods to chocolate; that's just how it is.
26 > > Delineating why gentoo is superior (and it is when you are mature
27 > > enough) is what we do not do formally. Somebody (like Alan or Neil)
28 > > really should write up article on this, put it on the home page and
29 > > call it 'The Wisdom and Wonders of Gentoo' or some such marketing
30 > > hyperbole. If for no other reason, so we do not have to continue with
31 > > this 'educational intro to gentoo' on gentoo-user.
32 >
33 > Now that is something I could do, it's close to my heart :-)
34 >
35 > Neil might even be willing to edit out my more senior rambling
36 > moments :-)
37
38 If I could find the time :P
42 Neil Bothwick