From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Expect a ~15% average slowdown if you use an Intel processor
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 02:22:27
1 On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:44 AM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I am still working through the information myself, but it looks like
5 >> BPF filters are an easy way to make sure you have something to look
6 >> for in kernelspace.
7 >
8 > My understanding is that for exploit 1 to work you need to have the
9 > kernel execute some code for you, and BPF is a way to do that because
10 > it is a JIT compiler.
11 >
12 > The bits about finding where BPF is in kernelspace is for exploit 2,
13 > which requires branching into that code, which requires knowing its
14 > address.
17 What I think is missing is the full details of the cache behavior,
18 because I saw some (ad hoc) proposals that the situation may be very,
19 very bad indeed. I'll see if I can find the explanation involving only
20 usermode code.
21
22 The original recommendation from CERT was to fully replace all
23 hardware: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rzc6iQmgrIcJ:https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/584653+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
24