From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 23:47:03
1 On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 12:52:41AM +0200, lee wrote:
2 >
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
4 >
5 > > On 27/09/2015 21:17, lee wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Fellow, I'm done with you, really.
8 > >
9 > > You hold onto your issues with portage like they were some treasured
10 > > memory of a long-since departed loved one, while all the time apparently
11 > > ignoring the correct valid solutions offeered by kind folks on this list.
12 > >
13 > > Let it go. The devs know about portage output. I don't see you
14 > > submitting patches though.
15 >
16 > You ran out of arguments and remain at insisting that the problem is
17 > known and cannot be fixed because it's too complicated while rejecting
18 > suggestions but asking for patches. So I have no reason to think that
19 > patches would be any more welcome than suggestions, and now even if you
20 > came up with some pointer what to look at (since emerge, for example, is
21 > a wrapper script from which I couldn't see where to start), I wouldn't
22 > waste my time with it. Congratulations.
25 Someone (I can't remember who, probably Rich Freeman or some other dev)
26 described a problem with the general process of fixing the portage
27 output a while ago. I believe the steps went something like this:
28
29 1. Think the portage output sucks
30 2. Learn what the output means
31 3. Lose all motivation to improve the output because it is no longer
32 necessary for you
33
34 The portage output is not as good as it could be, but everyone with the
35 knowledge to fix it doesn't because they neither care (because they
36 understand it) *nor* are they being paid.
37
38 In my opinion, the portage output is not that bad, in the same way that
39 gcc's error messages are not that bad. They can be difficult to get used
40 to and some of them are absolutely ridiculous, but after using gcc for a
41 while they almost always make sense and are precise.
42
43 Alec