From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 22:53:00
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 27/09/2015 21:17, lee wrote:
7 > [big snip]
8 >
9 >>> Seems to me you are thinking like a human (because you are one) and not
10 >>> > seeing portage's limits. Portage has no idea what would solve the issue
11 >>> > so can't give any recommendations worth a damn. The best it can do is
12 >>> > print some hardcoded logic that looks like it might apply.
13 >> According to that, the human is even less able to figure out what might
14 >> solve the problem than portage is: The human doesn't know anything about
15 >> the huge number of dependencies involved, and even if they did, it would
16 >> take them really really long to go through all of them to figure out
17 >> anything at all. Now if they do it right, the human would come to the
18 >> same conclusion as portage, provided that portage does it right.
21 > [big snip]
22 >
23 > Fellow, I'm done with you, really.
24 >
25 > You hold onto your issues with portage like they were some treasured
26 > memory of a long-since departed loved one, while all the time apparently
27 > ignoring the correct valid solutions offeered by kind folks on this list.
28 >
29 > Let it go. The devs know about portage output. I don't see you
30 > submitting patches though.
31
32 You ran out of arguments and remain at insisting that the problem is
33 known and cannot be fixed because it's too complicated while rejecting
34 suggestions but asking for patches. So I have no reason to think that
35 patches would be any more welcome than suggestions, and now even if you
36 came up with some pointer what to look at (since emerge, for example, is
37 a wrapper script from which I couldn't see where to start), I wouldn't
38 waste my time with it. Congratulations.
42 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
43 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.