From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] almost completely OT: mouses
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:29:29
1 On 12 December 2006 18:24, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > > I have never seen anyone (except non-native speakers by mistake) use
4 > > mouses as the plural for a computer mouse. Are the people of the Oxford
5 > > dictionary nuts, or is this really correct and mice wrong in this case?
6 >
7 > 1) You have waaaaaaayyyyy too much time on your hands :)
8
9 Well, I had to look up the other thing. ;-)
12 > 2) My OED (2002 edition) says of the computer device "(pl also mouses)"
13 > so they consider both mice and mouses to be correct.
14
15 Uh, yours is newer than mine (1994). So I am allowed to call them mice. What a
16 relief.
19 > 3) Bear in mind that a dictionary documents the language as used, not a
20 > set of rule for using it, so if both plurals are accepted usage, both
21 > should be included (you are not alone Alan :)
22
23 I always thought of the Oxford dictionary as extremely conservative, i.e. it
24 reflects a language in use 30 years ago.
25
26 BTW, my spellchecker accepts mouses - of course it can't distinguish what I am
27 referring to.
28
29 Anyway, thanks for answering (to Alan as well).
30
31 Uwe
34 Mark Twain: I rather decline two drinks than a German adjective.
35 http://www.SysEx.com.na
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list