From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] almost completely OT: mouses
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:28:53
1 On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:38:07 +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2
3 > I was looking up something in my Oxford dictionary. First, I had to
4 > make sure how they indicate irregular plurals. The first word that came
5 > to mind was mouse. Look what they write there apart from 1. the animal
6 > and 2. a timid person:
7 >
8 > 3. (plural mouses) a small hand-held device for controlling a cursor on
9 > a VDU screen.
10 >
11 > I have never seen anyone (except non-native speakers by mistake) use
12 > mouses as the plural for a computer mouse. Are the people of the Oxford
13 > dictionary nuts, or is this really correct and mice wrong in this case?
14
15 1) You have waaaaaaayyyyy too much time on your hands :)
16
17 2) My OED (2002 edition) says of the computer device "(pl also mouses)"
18 so they consider both mice and mouses to be correct.
19
20 3) Bear in mind that a dictionary documents the language as used, not a
21 set of rule for using it, so if both plurals are accepted usage, both
22 should be included (you are not alone Alan :)
23
24 4) One of the main cultural references of my youth called them meeces,
25 but the OED doesn't like that one...
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Top Oxymorons Number 38: Government organization