From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] almost completely OT: mouses
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:44:01
1 Hi folks,
2
3 this is for English native speakers (British English, American English and
4 colonial English alike).
5
6 I was looking up something in my Oxford dictionary. First, I had to make sure
7 how they indicate irregular plurals. The first word that came to mind was
8 mouse. Look what they write there apart from 1. the animal and 2. a timid
9 person:
10
11 3. (plural mouses) a small hand-held device for controlling a cursor on a VDU
12 screen.
13
14 I have never seen anyone (except non-native speakers by mistake) use mouses as
15 the plural for a computer mouse. Are the people of the Oxford dictionary
16 nuts, or is this really correct and mice wrong in this case?
17
18 Uwe
21 Mark Twain: I rather decline two drinks than a German adjective.
22 http://www.SysEx.com.na
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list