From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] almost completely OT: mouses
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:49:17
1 On Tuesday 12 December 2006 09:38, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] almost completely OT: mouses':
3 > I have never seen anyone (except non-native speakers by mistake) use
4 > mouses as the plural for a computer mouse. Are the people of the Oxford
5 > dictionary nuts, or is this really correct and mice wrong in this case?
6
7 While language evolution is not a democratic process, I've never heard
8 *anyone* use the word "mouses" for *anything* and if I had I would have
9 corrected them by telling them "mice" is the proper plural of "mouse",
10 even when talking about a pointing device.
11
12 I'm a native speaker of "Southern English", and fairly fluent in "American
13 English" -- heavy "British English" "accents" can throw me, but only when
14 they are particularly dense w/ "British-isms".
17 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
18 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
19 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
20 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh