From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:10:28
1 Naga wrote:
2 >> reader@×××××××.com wrote:
3 >> Case in point, portage I have read has a lot of hacks that are hurting
4 >>
5 > development. In the end it works pretty well but it makes it really
6 > hard to add more "features" without messing up something else. So,
7 > someone needs to make a decision on what needs to happen with that. Some
8 > say rewrite portage, some say switch to C** and some say switch to
9 > Plaudus (sp?). This just seems to be one thing I have read about.
10 >
11 > I'm sure Portage (the program) has allot of hacks in it but I'm also sure
12 > that had those who advocate its shortcomings been concerned about
13 > backwards compability with older stable versions they would have been more
14 > humble in there criticism.
17 Yep, you are likely dead on there. Thing is, now, someone needs to
18 decide what to do next. I wouldn't mind a change that means you can not
19 go backwards. I have said M$ needs to cut that cord myself. It may
20 hurt at first but in the long run it will pay off.
23 >> Like you, I wish I could do more. I would be willing to learn to code
24 >>
25 > if I felt it was worthwhile. I am disabled so I have plenty of time to
26 > learn and contribute but after my past experiences on -dev, I won't be
27 > repeating that for a VERY long time and only after some things change.
28 > The devs complain about not having enough help but when someone wants to
29 > learn and help some they sort of shoot themselves in the foot.
30 >
31 > The best way to help out is to try and join a team/herd. They are much
32 > friendlier then the -dev list and in much need of help. The easiest way I
33 > think is to join an arch team as an arch tester.
39 That may be true but the past few times on -dev left a bad taste. If I
40 start learning to code and stuff I would want to move up. Right now,
41 I'm not even remotely interested in that. I'll just stay right here
42 where I am. Of course, if I get the same here, I'd go away from here too.
43
44 Dale
45
47 --