From: Naga <nagatoro@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:51:40
1 > reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Case in point, portage I have read has a lot of hacks that are hurting
3 development. In the end it works pretty well but it makes it really
4 hard to add more "features" without messing up something else. So,
5 someone needs to make a decision on what needs to happen with that. Some
6 say rewrite portage, some say switch to C** and some say switch to
7 Plaudus (sp?). This just seems to be one thing I have read about.
8
9 I'm sure Portage (the program) has allot of hacks in it but I'm also sure
10 that had those who advocate its shortcomings been concerned about
11 backwards compability with older stable versions they would have been more
12 humble in there criticism.
13
14 > Like you, I wish I could do more. I would be willing to learn to code
15 if I felt it was worthwhile. I am disabled so I have plenty of time to
16 learn and contribute but after my past experiences on -dev, I won't be
17 repeating that for a VERY long time and only after some things change.
18 The devs complain about not having enough help but when someone wants to
19 learn and help some they sort of shoot themselves in the foot.
20
21 The best way to help out is to try and join a team/herd. They are much
22 friendlier then the -dev list and in much need of help. The easiest way I
23 think is to join an arch team as an arch tester.
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list