From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:41:53
1 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Just butting in here a bit but this discussion has got me somewhat
3 > worried. This will probably ramble a bit... but at least that will
4 > fit right in in this discussion... hehe.
5 >
6 > I probably represent about the lowest level of gentoo user so I
7 > thought maybe it would be good to speak up a bit here.
8 >
9 > Its hard to get a handle on what you all are really talking about. I
10 > mean the behind the scenes build up that must have gone on was totally
11 > invisible to people like me.
12 >
13 > I started hearing and seeing comments and such on this list about 1 or
14 > maybe 2 mnths ago now, indicating some underlying trouble but I'm not
15 > getting a clear picture here of what that trouble is.
16 >
17 > I am a long time linux user and have used gentoo for probably 3 yrs or
18 > so. I've never contributed a single bit of code or contributed in any
19 > other way than asking lots of question here... and answering a few I
20 > guess but the ratio wouldn't look so good for me. I've added a
21 > very small number of bug reports at one time or another.
22 >
23 > I like gentoo a lot... and have finally gotten at least slightly
24 > competent in using/installing/trouble shooting and etc.... I'd hate to
25 > switch to something else.
26 >
27 > The complex setup of use flags and profiles is very versatile and
28 > eventually people like me start to catch on. With the counter balance
29 > of the various /etc/portage/package.** files, there are infinite ways
30 > to control ones setup.
31 >
32 > >From this discussion I am unable to get an idea what might be coming
33 > in the next few mnths.
34 >
35 > I'd like to help in some way... but hard to think of anyway that I
36 > could realistically contribute.
37 >
38 > I've used linux pretty exclusively as my main desktop since mid to
39 > late 90s, experimented with freebsd and openbsd a bit.
40 > The gentoo community... at least the discussion lists is about the
41 > best I've been involved in.
42 >
43 > I guess what I'm getting at here is wondering what the collection of
44 > lowlevel users can really do to help the apparent breakdown of
45 > direction.
46 >
47 > I can write basic perl and shell script a bit. But so basic as to
48 > seem pretty useless compared to the kind of talent available here.
49 >
50 > I guess I feel kind of helpless about the possibility of gentoo
51 > breaking down and kind of fading on off into oblivion.
52 >
53 > Can some of you `in the know' folks layout what the problems seem to
54 > be especially some concrete ways interested parties could have some
55 > impact on the situation.
60 I would usually say let your opinion be heard on where things are
61 going. However, go post something on -dev and you will see in short
62 order that it is not a good idea. I liken it to poking a stick into a
63 hornets nest. It may be fun when you get the stick and first walk up
64 but after that the good part is gone.
65
66 In my opinion Gentoo has been coasting for a long time now. It has hit
67 a point in its life where some decisions have to be made and they are
68 not easy ones to make and they are far reaching and may not be
69 correctable if the wrong ones are made. Problem is, the group of people
70 that should be making them can't seem to make them. That means the
71 people that needs the decisions to be made can't proceed with their work
72 so it is status quo right now.
73
74 Case in point, portage I have read has a lot of hacks that are hurting
75 development. In the end it works pretty well but it makes it really
76 hard to add more "features" without messing up something else. So,
77 someone needs to make a decision on what needs to happen with that.
78 Some say rewrite portage, some say switch to C** and some say switch to
79 Plaudus (sp?). This just seems to be one thing I have read about.
80
81 It just seems to me that some things need to change. Someone or some
82 group of people need to make some very serious decisions and do so very
83 soon. I'm not sure what to say on the foundation part. It's hard to
84 say since legally it doesn't exist right now. I just feel and pretty
85 much know in my gut that people have dropped the ball and watched it
86 roll away.
87
88 Like you, I wish I could do more. I would be willing to learn to code
89 if I felt it was worthwhile. I am disabled so I have plenty of time to
90 learn and contribute but after my past experiences on -dev, I won't be
91 repeating that for a VERY long time and only after some things change.
92 The devs complain about not having enough help but when someone wants to
93 learn and help some they sort of shoot themselves in the foot. Bad
94 thing is, I have a lot of time that I could put to use. I'm at home
95 most of the time, I do date some but am single, no kids and my biggest
96 time consumer is changing the water in my 55 gallon fish tank and my
97 garden in the summer months. What a waste huh?
98
99 I'm sure someone else can add more to this. That's just all I can
100 recall at the moment.
101
102 Dale
103