From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CMYK comparison to sRGB between platforms
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 08:59:01
1 On Saturday 26 September 2015 16:11:04 Mick wrote:
2
3 > Thank you all for your answers. They guided me to do some reading in this
4 > field, which is quite a science all on its own!
5
6 --->8
7
8 > Peter's description does not mention which application loads the .icc file
9 > that the hughski creates, but I'm guessing there must be something that does
10 > read it, if the monitor settings are indeed altered.
11
12 As far as I remember, it's the colorhug's own program that sets the monitor at
13 the end of its calibration process. After that, the monitor has kept those
14 settings and hasn't needed any further tweaking.
15
16 I do have the two .icc files in .local/share/icc:
17
18 $ ls -l .local/share/icc
19 total 28K
20 -rw-r--r-- 1 prh prh 1.2K Sep 9 16:51 edid-fbec4f9c1804ea718b6e1b585fc234ad.icc
21 -rw-rw-r-- 1 prh prh 21K Sep 10 10:41 GCM - Samsung - SMS27A350H - unknown (2015-09-10) [04-58-44].icc
22
23 /usr/bin/file shows them both as "ColorSync ICC Profile". I don't know why there
24 are two, nor why they have such different sizes.
25
26 Maybe I'm mistaken and KDE is reading what it needs at startup from those
27 Files. I'll try moving them and see what happens.
28
29 > With the monitors sorted as best as I could adjust them manually I loaded
30 > the icc files with Kolor-manager. I could not see any change in the colors
31 > displayed by the monitors. They are both wide gamut monitors, so perhaps
32 > the RGB changes were within the narrower RGB spectrum and that's why I did
33 > not notice a difference - not to mention that my eyes are not they used to
34 > be. :p
35 >
36 > Having done all this, I revisited ImageMagick. I ran identify -verbose and
37 > discovered that the original jpg image did not have an embedded icc profile.
38 > So I reran the command specifying a cmyk profile for the input file and an
39 > sRGB for the output file. The result is now satisfactory and comparable on
40 > all operating systems.
41 >
42 > I am still a bit unclear if on non-KDE dekstops xserver will pick up any icc
43 > files for the monitor from ~/.local/share/color/icc and load them at start
44 > up all on its own, or if any additional software is necessary to achieve
45 > this.
46
47 Yes, I'm also unclear on this.
50 Rgds