From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CMYK comparison to sRGB between platforms
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 15:11:32
1 On Thursday 10 Sep 2015 22:07:44 wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On the same hardware I noticed that a CMYK photograph converted to
4 > > sRGB looked mostly the same (indistinguishable) on Linux, but the
5 > > sRGB colours were brighter on MSWindows.
6 > >
7 > > I tried this by dual booting between MSWindows and Linux.
8 > >
9 > > Then I tried it by running MSWindows within a VM on a Linux host and
10 > > the MSWindows showed a clear difference in brightness between the two
11 > > formats.
12 > >
13 > > Finally, I checked on an AppleMac and the difference between the CMYK
14 > > and sRGB photographs was even more prominent than MSWindows.
15 > >
16 > > So, the Linux renedering seems to be misleading the user. Have you
17 > > noticed the same?
18 > >
19 > > BTW, both Linux machines that I tried this on are running radeon
20 > > drivers - are these to blame? The AppleMac is running Intel graphics
21 > > with its 'retina' monitor. Is it a matter of somehow tuning the Xorg
22 > > settings on my Linux PCs?
23 >
24 > First I must say that even though I'm working as a photographer I'm not
25 > an expert on Color Models. The professional exposure and print service
26 > that I use only accepts RGB Color Models. They use laser projectors to
27 > expose photographic papers. No conversion to CMYK is necessary.
28 > If I order fine art prints, they are doing the conversion by them self.
29 > All I have to do is softproofing my pictures in Lightroom using their
30 > different ICC profiles, to make sure that I don't deliver pictures that
31 > are out of the destination gamut.
32 > So I don't have any practical experiences with CMYK pictures. I only
33 > have some incomplete theoretical knowledge about it.
34 >
35 > CMYK is a subtractive color model and RGB is an additive color model,
36 > they are working completely different. It is not possible to convert
37 > one in to the other by just simply adjust some gamma curves or using a
38 > LUT as it is done by color management systems like lcms.
39 >
40 > When you are watching a CMYK picture, your picture viewer has to convert
41 > it to a RGB color space (sRGB or AdobeRGB or similar), because that is
42 > what your monitor needs. And I think there are not much picture viewers
43 > that are able to display a CMYK picture.
44 >
45 > This conversion can not be done by the graphics driver, regardless what
46 > kind of OS you use. Indeed Linux drivers can only use 8 bits per color
47 > channel (that's really poor IMHO) and Windows can use 10 bits per channel
48 > (depends on the graphics card), but this can't make big differences in
49 > brightness or saturation. It only leads to smother color transitions in
50 > some pictures.
51 > So I don't think that the drivers have anything to do with your problem.
52 >
53 > Apart from the different color models (CMYK vs RGB) there exist different
54 > color spaces (eg. AdobeRGB and sRGB). When you convert one color space in
55 > to an other, there are parameters like black point compensation and
56 > different rendering intents (perceptual and relative or absolute
57 > colorimetric), that can make a difference in the resulting picture.
58 >
59 > You didn't told exactly what you have done. This makes it difficult to
60 > find a reason for the problem. But I can think of different reasons for
61 > the phenomenon you observed:
62 >
63 > Different picture viewers and/or different color management systems and/or
64 > different color spaces (including different rendering intents respectively
65 > black point compensations). :-)
66 >
67 > --
68 > Regards
69 > wabe
70
71 Thank you all for your answers. They guided me to do some reading in this
72 field, which is quite a science all on its own!
73
74 The problem I had was caused by the use of ImageMagick's 'convert -colorspace
75 RGB' which is an approximation rather than specific to the colour profile of a
76 particular image. As I posted the colours of the original and the converted
77 looked similarly saturated, over-brightened, on Linux. On AppleMac (different
78 box) and MSWindows (same box and same monitors) the difference between the two
79 images was more noticeable.
80
81 I spent some time adjusting the brightness, contrast and RGB colours on the
82 two monitors to make them as close to each other as possible and as close to
83 some images I had of some fabrics. I used these because I also had physical
84 samples of these same fabrics, so I could compare them against the real thing.
85
86 I also used colour patterns I found on the Internet for calibrating monitors.
87 The match between the two monitors was not perfect, because one is LCD and the
88 other a much brighter LED.
89
90 Then I played with the System Settings/Display/Gamma of KDE, but noticed I
91 could only affect the RGB colours on the left monitor. So I started searching
92 for various applications that would allow me to finely tune the calibration of
93 the monitors.
94
95 I ended up installing media-libs/oyranos and kde-misc/kolor-manager. The
96 oyranos application connects to the Taxi DB of icc profiles[1] and fetches the
97 icc profiles for different monitors that contributors have submitted
98 calibration settings for. This means that I do not have to use a spectrometer
99 or calorimeter, as long as I am happy to live with some variation that may
100 exist between monitors of the same make and model.
101
102 Kolor-manager adds a new setting selection in System Settings of KDE which
103 allows me to select each monitor in turn, see the EDID icc that the OS reads
104 from the monitor chipset and then fetch any profiles that people have updated
105 to the Taxi DB and use them instead. In addition, the Kolor-manager saves any
106 such profiles locally in ~/.local/share/color/icc/ and loads what I select
107 when X starts.
108
109 There are other non-KDE applications like monica, which adds gamma correction
110 values to .monicarc and then a call for loading these values in .xinitrc, or
111 .bashrc, so that when X starts the appropriate icc file is sourced.
112
113 Peter's description does not mention which application loads the .icc file
114 that the hughski creates, but I'm guessing there must be something that does
115 read it, if the monitor settings are indeed altered.
118 With the monitors sorted as best as I could adjust them manually I loaded the
119 icc files with Kolor-manager. I could not see any change in the colors
120 displayed by the monitors. They are both wide gamut monitors, so perhaps the
121 RGB changes were within the narrower RGB spectrum and that's why I did not
122 notice a difference - not to mention that my eyes are not they used to be. :p
125 Having done all this, I revisited ImageMagick. I ran identify -verbose and
126 discovered that the original jpg image did not have an embedded icc profile.
127 So I reran the command specifying a cmyk profile for the input file and an
128 sRGB for the output file. The result is now satisfactory and comparable on
129 all operating systems.
130
131 I am still a bit unclear if on non-KDE dekstops xserver will pick up any icc
132 files for the monitor from ~/.local/share/color/icc and load them at start up
133 all on its own, or if any additional software is necessary to achieve this.
134
135 Thanks again for your help.
138 [1] http://icc.opensuse.org/
139 --