From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with udev and network cards changing device name
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:44:21
1 On Thursday 22 March 2007, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with udev and network cards changing
3 device name':
4 > Delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
5
6 It won't come back next time udev is installed?
7
8 > This associated network interfaces with MAC addresses, so the cards come
9 > up the same way each time. your problem is caused by the file on the new
10 > box containing the MAC addresses of the cards on the original box, so it
11 > creates two more. A similar thing happens if you replace a network card.
12 > Delete the file and it starts again at zero.
13
14 A little off-topic, but the recent addition of this file, along with the
15 matching persistent-net-generator rules caused me some grief.
16
17 I know that MAC addresses are supposed to be suitable as a way to identify
18 network cards, but everyone also knows that they can be changed easily.
19 In fact, I'm lucky enough that both the built-in interfaces on my MB have
20 invalid MACs (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and FF:FF:FF:FF:00:00) so the kernel
21 assigns them random MAC addresses. I assign them fixed MACs
22 (<vendor>:FA:CA:DE) and (<vendor>:EF:FA:CE) using the macchanger features
23 of Gentoo's net init script. This had worked since I got the MB, and
24 wasn't something I really wanted to change.
25
26 With the new udev scripts in place, the pair of interfaces gradually
27 increased their number to eth10 and eth11 (rebooting due to unrelated
28 issues), which made my init scripts so longer run and left me manually
29 starting the interfaces (not fun).
30
31 I didn't want to delete the files, although I didn't need them, under the
32 fear that they'd just keep coming back. The persistent-net rules script
33 looked quite editable, so I (finally) learned how to write my own, useful
34 udev rules, so force the identification I've always known and loved (ethX
35 by PCI device number).
38 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
39 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
40 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
41 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
42 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!