From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive pricing and the near future
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 20:24:28
1 Am Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 06:32:24PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
2 > Howdy all,
3 > […]
4 > If anyone reading this does track the pricing of drives, are they on the
5 > rise, stable, dropping or what?  Is this a good time to expand while it
6 > is more cost effective?
7
8 Well I’m on ye Olde Continent and here I use a price search engine called
9 geizhals (German for scrooge). But they have an English equivalent ;-) and
10 of course use European pricing schemes (meaning including taxes, which you
11 do different).
12 https://skinflint.co.uk/?m=1
13
14 The big difference here: it allows you to filter and sort by all sorts of
15 criteria, such as being (non-)SMR or price/TB. And it shows you the prices
16 of lots of different shops, including Amazon. So while it may not give you
17 an idea of the US market, it gives you one of available drive models.
18
19 For instance, here are all internal non-SMR 3.5″ drives of 6 TB and up:
20 https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hde7s&xf=1080_SATA+1.5Gb%2Fs%7E1080_SATA+3Gb%2Fs%7E1080_SATA+6Gb%2Fs%7E13810_6000%7E3772_3.5%7E8457_non-SMR
21
22 I like to buy naked drives, because I don’t like “cable salad”, i.e. having
23 multiple external cases, each needing its own special power supply. Instead,
24 I’d opt for a hard drive dock which lets you insert a hard disk as if it
25 were an SD card. Actually, I use this internal bay for my PC case:
26
27 https://skinflint.co.uk/sharkoon-sata-quickport-internal-multi-a862667.html
28 It eats standard SATA drives and is connected via standard connectors to my
29 PSU and mobo.
30
31 > However, in a year or so, I'm getting fiber internet, dang fast at that.
32 > It's starts at 200Mb but still over a 100 times faster than current
33 > connection.  It goes all the way up to 1Gb.  God help us all.  ROFL
34
35 But when are you ever going to watch it all?
38 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
39 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
40
41 Filling your car becomes much cheaper if you install a smaller tank.