From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Hard drive pricing and the near future
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 23:32:34
1 Howdy all,
2
3 I still have quite a bit of drive storage but I've read that prices on
4 drives are on the rise.  Thing is, I don't track them much.  I'm looking
5 at buying a 8TB drive and I've researched to make sure I'm getting a
6 PMR/CMR drive.  I'm avoiding a SMR since it doesn't perform as well in
7 my use case.  I tend to stick with Seagate, WD and other major makers.
8
9 If anyone reading this does track the pricing of drives, are they on the
10 rise, stable, dropping or what?  Is this a good time to expand while it
11 is more cost effective?  I shop around on ebay, Amazon and others before
12 buying.  I'm not opposed to buying used since I can sometimes find one
13 that was pulled and sometimes has only a few hours of use.  I found one
14 once that only had like 10 hours on it.  Still got it too.
15
16 One reason I'm wanting to do this now is price.  However, in a year or
17 so, I'm getting fiber internet, dang fast at that.  It's starts at 200Mb
18 but still over a 100 times faster than current connection.  It goes all
19 the way up to 1Gb.  God help us all.  ROFL
20
21 Thoughts??
22
23 Dale