From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weather thingy using up my network, ALL THE TIME.
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:18:19
1 On Sunday 02 Sep 2012 08:54:27 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I have this little weather "applet" thingy down at the bottom of my
5 > desktop in the thing I think they call the panel. Anyway, the weather
6 > thing has been sending something for HOURS now. I have logged out of
7 > KDE, reset the network and even the router just to see if it would die.
8 > As soon as I login or the router comes back up, it start sending data
9 > again. I can't get it to stop. As a last resort, I took the thing off
10 > my panel thingy. It still sends data like crazy.
11
12 I clicked on my Weather Forecast applet settings and it also started sending
13 packets to wetter.com - despite the fact that I have set it to connect to the
14 BBC weather RSS feed. Hmm ...
17 > Does anyone know how to kill this thing? I'd like to surf the net
18 > without this thing hogging up my DSL connection.
19
20 It's not using that many packets, but I agree that it is annoying.
21
22 The solution is to kill the kio_http that was running it. Use ps, top, lsof
23 as you prefer to find which PID you should kill.
26 > While I am at it. I'm supposed to get my weather stuff from NOAA or at
27 > least that is where it came from ages ago. Ever since I went from KDE3
28 > to KDE4, it wants to come from wetter.com which doesn't work to begin
29 > with. This is what I think it is doing to my network. It is trying to
30 > get data that doesn't exist to begin with so it just keeps trying.
31 > Anybody know how to beat this thing silly? By the way, using iftop,
32 > that is where all this traffic is going to.
33
34 I am not sure if wetter.com is hardcoded somewhere. In my
35 .kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc I can see my BBC URI in the
36 weather applet settings, but nothing about wetter.com.
39 Regards,
40 Mick