From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel panics and more info
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:07:48
1 Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
2 > The 21/07/11, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> The 21/07/11, Dale wrote:
7 >>> I have not been able to get the nv drivers to work. It has been so
8 >>> long since I had to use them, it appears I have forgot how to use
9 >>> them. I'm not sure I have ever used them since I been using Gentoo.
10 >>>
11 >> Try VESA.
12 >>
13 > I would suspect the NIC driver, too. I've seen a lot of people touched
14 > by a r8169 bug freezing the kernel on large downloads, recently.
17 Just picking a post to reply here and it may have a good point. I was
18 browsing around to see what software I had for my UPS. I thought I
19 would download the thing, untar it and just check out the README file to
20 see what would be involved in installing it on my rig. It was a tarball
21 so nothing video related or flash related either. It also didn't use
22 the little download helper tool I been using either. I clicked on the
23 link to download and the window popped up to ask me whether to open it
24 or save it. I selected to save it as I have done countless times
25 before. As soon as I clicked that, the window popped up asking where to
26 save it to then kernel panic. This was in Seamonkey.
27
28 Could this be a network card/driver issue? I have had no problems so
29 far with emerge downloading anything from the command line. I'm going
30 to test this by deleting the tarballs for OOo and then fetching them
31 again. If it doesn't crash, then maybe it is something related to HOW
32 Seamonkey and Firefox access the net. If it does crash, then maybe I
33 need a new network card.
34
35 Thoughts? Going to go run my test now.
36
37 Dale
38