From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel panics and more info
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:06:10
1 On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:54:09AM -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Just picking a post to reply here and it may have a good point. I
4 > was browsing around to see what software I had for my UPS. I
5 > thought I would download the thing, untar it and just check out the
6 > README file to see what would be involved in installing it on my
7 > rig. It was a tarball so nothing video related or flash related
8 > either. It also didn't use the little download helper tool I been
9 > using either. I clicked on the link to download and the window
10 > popped up to ask me whether to open it or save it. I selected to
11 > save it as I have done countless times before. As soon as I clicked
12 > that, the window popped up asking where to save it to then kernel
13 > panic. This was in Seamonkey.
14 >
15 > Could this be a network card/driver issue? I have had no problems
16 > so far with emerge downloading anything from the command line. I'm
17 > going to test this by deleting the tarballs for OOo and then
18 > fetching them again. If it doesn't crash, then maybe it is
19 > something related to HOW Seamonkey and Firefox access the net. If
20 > it does crash, then maybe I need a new network card.
21
22 I can't believe any userland tool like a navigator could make the whole
23 system crash. It's much deeper than that in the system. Again, it's
24 likely to be a driver issue.
25
26 You could test your network card by doing a lot of traffic on it (on the
27 LAN to give you better chance to catch any issue), X stopped.
28
29 Next, you could test X (even mouse and keyboard) by playing some games
30 or whatever you don't do usual.
31
32 But at *FIRST* as it looks like you didn't do it yet, you have to
33
34 _check your logs_.
38 Nicolas Sebrecht