From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel panics and more info
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 18:04:16
1 Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:54:09AM -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >> Just picking a post to reply here and it may have a good point. I
6 >> was browsing around to see what software I had for my UPS. I
7 >> thought I would download the thing, untar it and just check out the
8 >> README file to see what would be involved in installing it on my
9 >> rig. It was a tarball so nothing video related or flash related
10 >> either. It also didn't use the little download helper tool I been
11 >> using either. I clicked on the link to download and the window
12 >> popped up to ask me whether to open it or save it. I selected to
13 >> save it as I have done countless times before. As soon as I clicked
14 >> that, the window popped up asking where to save it to then kernel
15 >> panic. This was in Seamonkey.
16 >>
17 >> Could this be a network card/driver issue? I have had no problems
18 >> so far with emerge downloading anything from the command line. I'm
19 >> going to test this by deleting the tarballs for OOo and then
20 >> fetching them again. If it doesn't crash, then maybe it is
21 >> something related to HOW Seamonkey and Firefox access the net. If
22 >> it does crash, then maybe I need a new network card.
23 >>
24 > I can't believe any userland tool like a navigator could make the whole
25 > system crash. It's much deeper than that in the system. Again, it's
26 > likely to be a driver issue.
27 >
28 > You could test your network card by doing a lot of traffic on it (on the
29 > LAN to give you better chance to catch any issue), X stopped.
30 >
31 > Next, you could test X (even mouse and keyboard) by playing some games
32 > or whatever you don't do usual.
33 >
34 > But at *FIRST* as it looks like you didn't do it yet, you have to
35 >
36 > _check your logs_.
41 That is what I have been trying to figure out. Right now, I just know
42 that Seamonkey and Firefox causes a kernel panic when I try to download
43 something. I have said many times before that I don't think it is
44 Seamonkey or Firefox itself but something they both use or load that is
45 in common with each other. I don't think it is KDE either since it does
46 the same in Fluxbox.
47
48 I have looked at the logs I know of and I don't see anything in there
49 about this. It is mostly about things loading and such. It seems the
50 log is not going to help me to much on this one. I guess when it
51 panics, it doesn't log anything first.
52
53 As I posted in another reply, I deleted everything related to OOo source
54 tarballs. It was about 400Mbs or so. I run emerge in a Konsole as
55 root. It has been downloading for a while now with no problems at all.
56 It is almost finished with the download.
57
58 So, when Seamonkey or Firefox try to download something, besides the web
59 pages itself, I get a kernel panic. Is this weird or what?
60
61 Dale
62