From: Rob Rutherford <rlrutherford@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo gets as bad SuSE: Circular dependencies [WAS: Thank you Gentoo devs]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 16:42:55
1 On 5/16/07, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Which problem from the upstream ?
4 > I'm a little bit involved in Xorg development (especially on the
5 > modularizing project), so if you tell me the problem, I could fix it.
6 >
7 > The problem w/ x11-base/xorg-server are the PDEPENDs on (external)
8 > driver packages. I dont see any valid reason for depending the
9 > Xserver on drivers, which themselfes depend on the Xserver.
10 >
11 > If you want some package which pulls in an complete Xserver installation
12 > *and* drivers (based on certain useflags), why not just an virtual
13 > package ?
14 >
15 > IMHO, there were days where it had been done so (when PDEPEND did not
16 > yet exist). I don't know why this had changed, probably just to get
17 > an new feature widely used. (BTW: I do not see any valid reason for
18 > PDEPEND anyways)
21 Thanks, this was much more informative and useful than:
22
23 > I also want to say "Thank you" to the gentoo devs.
24 >
25 > Thank you for producing lots of circular dependencies
26 > (ie. in the Xserver), which make maintenance complicated.
27 >
28 > Cirular deps have been really sucking in SuSE and were one
29 > of the major for dropping it to me.
30 >
31 > Great, great thanks to the devs for forcing me to maintain my
32 > own overlay to clean up the crap. (anyone who's interested in
33 > it, please give a note).