From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: cups web interface (localhost:631) missing
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 19:08:42
1 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > At Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:05:52 -0500 Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> I have ran into things like this with services before. This is how I
6 >> do. I stop the service, /etc/init.d/<name> stop. Then I make sure it
7 >> is not still running somewhere. ps aux | grep <name> If nothing comes
8 >> up but the grep command then it is not running. If something does come
9 >> up then you need to kill it. I usually do killall <name>. If all is
10 >> well, then zap it and restart the service. It should be a clean start.
11 >>
12 >> Hope that helps.
15 > Indeed it does. My error was in not remembering (or checking) the
16 > meaning of zap. I misremembered it as similar to killall.
17 >
18 > Thank you and Stefan for setting me straight.
19 >
20 > allan
23 Someone help me remember this. There was a update to a package that
24 manages the scripts a while back. I *think* it was baselayout or
25 something. He may need to make sure he has the right one. I used to
26 have this a lot but after the upgrade it works a LOT better. I rarely
27 have problems now.
28
29 Glad it worked.
30