From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 03:07:55
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > On May 27, 2012 7:19 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com
6 >> What I was saying tho, since it appears to be needed now, since /var may
7 >> not be mounted yet, it was created and is used during booting up. Since
8 >> it is there, why not use it, even AFTER the system is booted. After
9 >> all, the files are already there since they were put there during boot
10 >> up. No need moving them and all that when they are already created and
11 >> available.
12 >>
13 >> Plus, as someone said, I think it was you in another reply, what if /var
14 >> fails to mount at all? At that point, it still works since /run is
15 >> there already. Since /run is on tmpfs, if it fails to mount for some
16 >> reason, you got issues already. ;-)
17 >>
18 >> I don't mind it being there, I just hope udev, or whatever else may use
19 >> it later on, doesn't get memory hungry. Actually, maybe some other
20 >> small directories could be placed there as well. The lock files would
21 >> be a good one to start with. Just thinking. May want to duck tho. lol
24 > You mean /var/lock ? Hasn't it transmogrified to /run/lock now?
25 >
26 > Rgds,
29 Well, the /run/lock directory is there but there is nothing in it on
30 mine. It does look to me like they would move the files from /var/lock,
31 or any other lock files, there tho. They appear to be small here since
32 it takes up so little space.
33
34 root@fireball / # du -shc /var/lock/
35 32K /var/lock/
36 32K total
37 root@fireball / #
38
39 That would total up to be less than 300K for what is there and /var/lock
40 on my machine.
41
42 I dunno. Just makes sense to me.
43
44 Dale
45
49 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
50 how you interpreted my words!
51
52 Miss the compile output? Hint:
53 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"