From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 02:34:16
1 On May 27, 2012 7:19 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 26 May 2012 18:17:38 -0500
5 > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> It
8 > >> appears that /run is sort of a temp thing while booting and just sort
9 > >> of sticks around after getting booted, since it is there anyway. Why
10 > >> not use it?
11 > >
12 > > No, that is incorrect.
13 > >
14 > > /run is a deliberate design decision (and a damn good one that should
15 > > always have been there IMHO) and it sticks around because it is
16 > > supposed to. It's not an after-effect that just happens to be useful,
17 > > it's the entire objective.
18 > >
19 > > Think of it in the same way you think of /dev, /proc and /sys:
20 > >
21 > > There are there, there are guaranteed to be there with certain
22 > > behaviours, and you can't change that (neither should you want to).
26 > What I was saying tho, since it appears to be needed now, since /var may
27 > not be mounted yet, it was created and is used during booting up. Since
28 > it is there, why not use it, even AFTER the system is booted. After
29 > all, the files are already there since they were put there during boot
30 > up. No need moving them and all that when they are already created and
31 > available.
32 >
33 > Plus, as someone said, I think it was you in another reply, what if /var
34 > fails to mount at all? At that point, it still works since /run is
35 > there already. Since /run is on tmpfs, if it fails to mount for some
36 > reason, you got issues already. ;-)
37 >
38 > I don't mind it being there, I just hope udev, or whatever else may use
39 > it later on, doesn't get memory hungry. Actually, maybe some other
40 > small directories could be placed there as well. The lock files would
41 > be a good one to start with. Just thinking. May want to duck tho. lol
44 You mean /var/lock ? Hasn't it transmogrified to /run/lock now?
45
46 Rgds,