From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When did bzImage move?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 03:24:06
1 On 2 Feb 2009, at 01:05, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:08:25 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >
5 >> Basically I build the kernel using make && make modules_install and
6 >> then copy the kernel by hand using
7 >>
8 >> cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.6.27-gentoo-r8
9 >>
10 >> or whatever the kernel is. I add that to grub.conf and I'm done.
11 >> works
12 >> for me.
13 >
14 > Four commands plus some editing, which could contain an error making
15 > the
16 > kernel unbootable. The alternative s one command
17 >
18 > make all modules_install install
19 >
20 > Which also, as a nice bonus, backs up your kernel config too.
21
22 Does this not also add the system.map file & a couple of others to /
23 boot ?
24
25 I think I tried this &/or genkernel & when I looked at /boot I found
26 they'd littered the place with clutter.
27
28 I hope you won't be offended, but the amount of junk files this added
29 made me want to barf.
30
31 I have avoided any such "complications" since, considering I don't
32 consider copying a file & editing grub.conf to be anything of a
33 complication myself.
34
35 To guard against unbootable kernels I have a bzImage.old which is set
36 as fallback. To guard against human error when editing grub.conf the
37 bzImage.old is the first (0th?) entry in the list, and finally - lest
38 things go really pyriform - I have a KVM-IP.