From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When did bzImage move?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 14:39:39
1 On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 03:23:56 +0000
2 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > > make all modules_install install
5 > >
6 > > Which also, as a nice bonus, backs up your kernel config too.
7 >
8 > Does this not also add the system.map file & a couple of others to /
9 > boot ?
10 >
11 > I think I tried this &/or genkernel & when I looked at /boot I found
12 > they'd littered the place with clutter.
13 >
14 > I hope you won't be offended, but the amount of junk files this added
15 > made me want to barf.
16 >
17 > I have avoided any such "complications" since, considering I don't
18 > consider copying a file & editing grub.conf to be anything of a
19 > complication myself.
20
21 It does, but it does that on your command.
22
23 Try 'cd /usr/src/linux && make help'. Hopefully, it'll shed some light
24 on this dark matter: install just launches some (your) script.
25
26 I've created one in /root/bin, so it'll cp && symlink bzImage, instead
27 of making two copies, you'd probably want to put just 'cp && mv && ln'
28 in there. Can't see much point in doing it by hand every time, really.
31 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net