From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:55:16
1 2009/10/1 Arthur D. <spinal.by@××××.ru>
2
3 > I'm using a 4 years old system, and if I change that line, log out and
4 >> in again, it changes the env variable and everything works (that means
5 >> the behavior is probably caused by your configuration). If visudo is
6 >> still using that configuration, maybe that's because some
7 >> configuration file has precedence over environment variables. In that
8 >> case, you gotta find that file and change it.
9 >>
10 >> Not an easy task, anyway... I just did an "grep -r /bin/nano" in /etc.
11 >> LOL, I know there's a better way, I'm just too lazy to look for it...
14 > Man, running "sudo visudo" and just running "visudo" is not the same.
15 > Be careful. Nano is hardcoded in sudo's ebuild.
19 OK, for the Nth time on this thread - it is all about *YOUR* configuration
20 *IN YOUR SUDOERS FILE* - *by default*, sudo DOES NOT preserve the
21 environmental variables of the current user - it *DOES NOT* replace them
22 with variables from your profile, as *IT IS NOT RUNNING THE COMMAND IN AN
23 INTERACTIVE SHELL LOGIN* - if you want that behaviour, try using "sudo -i".
24
25 To see *VERY EXPLICITLY* what you have been told *OVER AND OVER* on this
26 thread, do the following:
27
28 sudo env
29 sudo -i env
32 and look at the difference. Unless *YOU* configure sudo the *NOT* reset
33 environmental variables, it is configured *BY DEFAULT* to blank out all but
34 a very few - once again, *THIS INCLUDES THE EDITOR VARIABLE*.
35
36 Once again, to fix the issue, do one of the 3 following procedures:
37
38 1 - Make all users preserve env variables when using sudo (least secure):
39
40 sudo -i visudo #This will start a visudo session *with vim*, since you are
41 using the -i option, which causes sudo to execute the command from an
42 interactive shell (which will read all env variables as you have configured)
43 comment out the line that reads:
44
45 Defaults env_reset
46
47 save, quit, and now your problem is solved.
48
49 2 - Make only users in the "wheel" group preserve env variables when using
50 sudo (more secure):
51
52 sudo -i visudo
53 uncomment out the line that reads:
54
55 #Defaults:%wheel !env_reset
56
57 save, quit
58 if your user is not already in the "wheel" group, add it into it:
59
60 gpasswd -a <username> wheel
61
62 then log out and log back in, and now your problem is solved.
65 3 - Make only the "EDITOR" env variable preserved when using sudo (even more
66 secure):
67
68 sudo -i visudo
69 add the following line:
70
71 Defaults env_delete-=EDITOR
72
73 save, quit
76 Now, there are *NUMEROUS* other ways that *YOU* can fix *YOUR CONFIG* to
77 solve *YOUR PROBLEM* - *HOWEVER*, continually ignoring the numerous fixes
78 that other users have replied to you with, and being hostile towards both
79 devs *and* the user community ("Proof?" WTF is your problem? You come here
80 asking for help, and then ignore the help you're given, and accuse a *very*
81 long-time user and *very* respected member of the community of *lying* to
82 you when he is trying to help you? Get your attitude fixed - seriously).
83
84 I hope that helps get your problem (and your hostility) resolved.
85
86 -James
89 > --
90 > Best regards, Spinal