From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GRUB2 new layout?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 10:38:24
1 On March 22, 2016 11:20:46 AM GMT+01:00, Dennis Tants <dennis.tants@×××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >Hey guys,
3 >till now I was just a silent reader of some topics, but now I could
4 >need
5 >your help.
6 >I recently did a 'emerge -avuDN --with-bdeps/=y --complete=graph world'
7 >
8 >(hope the term with --with-bdeps is correct, writing from memory). I
9 >saw
10 >that I got new gentoo-sources.
11 >I was runnig with 4.0.5, the latest is of course 4.1.15-r1. So I
12 >decided
13 >to upgrade my kernel. I started with eselect kernel set 4.1.15-r1 (the
14 >number for it). Then 'cd /usr/src/linux/ && make menuconfig'. I sorted
15 >out a few filesystems I didn't need, but thats all.
16 >After I saved the .config file, I did 'make && make modules_install &&
17 >make install' like it is written in the handbook.
18 >Last but not least I wanted to create a new GRUB entry with
19 >'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg'. I thought I did all steps but
20 >after a reboot, I ran into a kernel panic (Not syncing rootfs, IIRC).
21 >Following a tutorial to be able to boot again, I had a look at my
22 >grub.cfg.
23 >All those grub.cfg's I saw on the wiki had a short and relativeley easy
24 >
25 >to understand syntax. But my grub.cfg is full of things I probably
26 >won't
27 >need.
28 >I thought it could have been my fault, because i removed some fs while
29 >building the kernel, so i tried it again, but this time with genkernel.
30 >
31 >But the same thing happened again.
32 >I now wrote a grub.cfg by my self with all the information I needed.
33 >In this wiki article is an example of a grub.cfg file, which I used as
34 >a
35 >reference.
36 >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel
37 >After rebooting again, I noticed, that my grub entries did not change.
38 >
39 >Is there anything I did wrong or should try??
40 >Also, why is there such a complicated 'new' grub layout? Haven't done
41 >much with until now.
42 >Thanks for your precious time :)
43 >
44 >Greetings
45
46 Did you copy over the .config from your old kernel to the new kernel sources before configuring?
47
48 I always do that to avoid forgetting something important.
51 Joost
52 --
53 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.