From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge takes a long time calculating dependencies...
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:36:28
1 2008/9/18 BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>:
2 > And syncing portage is done nightly using a cron job to do "emerge --sync"; however, I run "emerge world -vuDNp" manually.
3
4 How often does this cron job run and what are the contents of your
5 cron script. Do you use "emerge --sync" or probably "eix-sync". I am
6 asking this because if you sync to often and you use eix-sync the
7 portage cache is deleted in advantage of the sync and is not recreated
8 if it fails because of identical timestamps between the local machine
9 and the rsync server.
10
11 So when calling emerge after this the cache has to be created before
12 and thus it seems dependency calculation takes very long.
13
14 > (The system also hosts portage via rsync for my other gentoo system on my network too, which I manually sync against it; I might be adding another system too in the same manner, not sure yet.)
15 >
16 > Ben