From: Ricardo Saffi Marques <saffi@××××××××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge takes a long time calculating dependencies...
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:43:29
1 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > How often does this cron job run and what are the contents of your
3 > cron script. Do you use "emerge --sync" or probably "eix-sync". I am
4 > asking this because if you sync to often and you use eix-sync the
5 > portage cache is deleted in advantage of the sync and is not recreated
6 > if it fails because of identical timestamps between the local machine
7 > and the rsync server.
8
9 In my case, my cron runs "eix-sync" every night at 00h and I just did an "time emerge -DNuvp world"
10 here, getting:
11
12 Total: 129 packages (103 upgrades, 18 new, 8 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 187,761 kB
13
14 real 0m21.074s
15 user 0m18.913s
16 sys 0m0.724s
17
18 So I assume once a day (let's say, every night) is a good choice for syncing, right? :-)
19 Never ever had a problem with slow dependency calculation on emerge.
22 Ricardo Saffi Marques
23 http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/~saffi/
25 Laboratory of System Administration and Security - LAS
26 Institute of Computing - IC
27 P.O. Box: 6176
28 University of Campinas - UNICAMP
29 13083-852, Campinas, SP, Brazil