From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge takes a long time calculating dependencies...
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:04:06
1 2008/9/18 Ricardo Saffi Marques <saffi@××××××××××××××.br>:
2 >
3 > In my case, my cron runs "eix-sync" every night at 00h and I just did an "time emerge -DNuvp world"
4 > here, getting:
5 >
6 > Total: 129 packages (103 upgrades, 18 new, 8 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 187,761 kB
7 >
8 > real 0m21.074s
9 > user 0m18.913s
10 > sys 0m0.724s
11 >
12 > So I assume once a day (let's say, every night) is a good choice for syncing, right? :-)
13 > Never ever had a problem with slow dependency calculation on emerge.
14
15 As far as I know the rsync servers are syncing against the master
16 server(s) about every half an hour which obviously also updates the
17 timestamp. So what I described above only happens if you sync within a
18 shorter period. Running eix-sync every day shouldn't be a problem.
19
20 Syncing twice an hour is also considered bad practise because of the
21 heavy traffic involved. It just happens to me sometimes if I test
22 stuff and had to sync within a shorter period.
23
24 I just asked this because it could be possible that the script calls
25 eix-sync twice or after an emerge --sync which is not necessary or for
26 some other reason it is called twice within a too short period.
27
28 Regarding the fragmentation. I use ext3 and reiserfs for the portage
29 tree and did not recognize a significant slowdown. There is a slowdown
30 but not from 4 to 20 minutes. At least in my case.
31
32 Regards,
33
34 Daniel