From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 23:36:53
1 On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On 09/12/17 16:58, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On Friday, December 8, 2017 12:48:45 AM CET Wols Lists wrote:
4 >>> On 07/12/17 22:35, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
5 >>>>> (Oh - and md raid-5/6 also mix data and parity, so the same holds true
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>>> there.)
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Ok, wasn’t aware of that. I thought I read in a ZFS article that this were
10 >>>> a special thing.
11 >>>
12 >>> Say you've got a four-drive raid-6, it'll be something like
13 >>>
14 >>> data1 data2 parity1 parity2
15 >>> data3 parity3 parity4 data4
16 >>> parity5 parity6 data5 data6
17 >>>
18 >>> The only thing to watch out for (and zfs is likely the same) if a file
19 >>> fits inside a single chunk it will be recoverable from a single drive.
20 >>> And I think chunks can be anything up to 64MB.
21 >>
22 >> Except that ZFS doesn't have fixed on-disk-chunk-sizes. (especially if you use
23 >> compression)
24 >>
25 >> See:
26 >> https://www.delphix.com/blog/delphix-engineering/zfs-raidz-stripe-width-or-how-i-learned-stop-worrying-and-love-raidz
27 >>
28 > Which explains nothing, sorry ... :-(
29 >
30 > It goes on about 4K or 8K database blocks (and I'm talking about 64 MEG
31 > chunk sizes). And the OP was talking about files being recoverable from
32 > a disk that was removed from an array. Are you telling me that a *small*
33 > file has bits of it scattered across multiple drives? That would be *crazy*.
34
35 I'm not sure why it would be "crazy." Granted, most parity RAID
36 systems seem to operate just as you describe, but I don't see why with
37 Reed Solomon you couldn't store ONLY parity data on all the drives.
38 All that matters is that you generate enough to recover the data - the
39 original data contains no more information than an equivalent number
40 of Reed-Solomon sets. Of course, with the original data I imagine you
41 need to do less computation assuming you aren't bothering to check its
42 integrity against the parity data.
43
44 In case my point is clear a RAID would work perfectly fine if you had
45 5 drives with the capacity to store 4 drives wort of data, but instead
46 of storing the original data across 4 drives and having 1 of parity,
47 you instead compute 5 sets of parity so that now you have 9 sets of
48 data that can tolerate the loss of any 5, then throw away the sets
49 containing the original 4 sets of data and store the remaining 5 sets
50 of parity data across the 5 drives. You can still tolerate the loss
51 of one more set, but all 4 of the original sets of data have been
52 tossed already.
56 Rich