From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: is purchasing a usb blu ray a good idea?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:07:08
1 On Mon, Jun 29 2015, Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > On 2015-06-26, gottlieb@×××.edu <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> My new (dell E7450) laptop will be a slimline with no internal optical
5 >> drive. So I want to purchase an external optical drive. My first
6 >> thought was to get a drive that is both
7 >> a blue ray READER and
8 >> a dvd writer
9 >
10 > AFAIK, none of my current computers have (or ever have had) blue ray
11 > drives. I'm 100% sure that 3 of them don't, but it's possible my
12 > laptop can read blue ray disks.
13 >
14 > Even the DVD drives get used very rarely these days. I used to install
15 > OSes from optical disks, and therefor I used to burn the occasional
16 > Fedora/Ubuntu DVD or systemrescuecd CD. But, I use USB flash drives
17 > for that these days[1]. The optical drives my computers _do_ have
18 > don't seem to be very reliable. Not that you'd expect much from
19 > anything with a motor and lots of of moving parts for which you paid
20 > $15.
21 >
22 > The only reason I can think of for having a BR drive is so you can
23 > watch BR movies that Netflix mails you[2].
24 >
25 > [1] Despite all steps explained in the blog posts on how to build a
26 > bootable flash drive based on an ISO image, I've found that for
27 > everything except systemrescuecd, all I have ever had do is:
28 >
29 > dd if=whatever.iso of=/dev/sdd bs=64k
30 >
31 > [2] I still get plain old DVDs -- it turns out that blue ray doesn't
32 > improve the characters, plot, writing, direction, cinematography,
33 > editting, or anything that else matters about movies. A Michael
34 > Bay movie on blue ray is still a Michael Bay movie.
35
36 Thank you Grant. I am planning to use a dd statment just like yours.
37 allan