From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Auto-backup tool?
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:21:25
1 > On Sunday 03 December 2006 16:18, Jerônimo Backes wrote:
2 > > > rdiff-backup. I've been using it for a couple of years and it does
3 > > > just what you need. it also keeps old versions so you can roll back
4 > > > in the event of a mistake.
5 > >
6 > > Man, that's almost what I need. Is there a way to make this script
7 > > execute automatically after some time interval?
8
9 Just run it from cron. I backup /home and /etc from cron.hourly and /usr
10 etc from cron.daily.
11
12 > > > You could use find to generate a list of files changed n the last
13 > > > two hours, pass this list to tar - it has an option to accept a
14 > > > list of files to archive on stdin - and then mail this to your
15 > > > backup account.
16 > >
17 > > Ok, I can make a script doing that. But what can I use to send the
18 > > file to my e-mail adresses? And what to do to make that script run
19 > > periodically?
20
21 cron again. You could use nail or mutt to mail it, nail looks a suitable
22 choice for a script.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.