From: Ernie Schroder <schroder@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cups is broken
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 03:33:29
1 On Saturday 25 February 2006 19:12, a tiny voice compelled John Blinka to
2 write:
3 > Ernie Schroder wrote:
4 > >Make sure that you have the file:
5 > >
6 > >/usr/share/cups/docs/index.html
7 > >
8 > >and that it opens as a webpage in a browser Of course I'm assuming that
9 > > other html pages display properly.
10 >
11 > It's there. In fact, that's the file that's being displayed improperly.
12 > Its contents are identical to the same file on other systems I own
13 > which display correctly, so that's not the problem. And all other
14 > html pages display correctly. So...
15 >
16 > 1) the problem is not the contents, permissions, or presence
17 > of the file - they're all identical to other systems in which
18 > the file displays properly. In fact, the file displays
19 > properly (almost) if I access it as
20 > file:///usr/share/cups/docs/index.html instead of
21 > http://localhost:631
22 > 2) the problem is not specific to a browser - the same behavior
23 > occurs with Firefox and Konqueror.
24 > 3) the problem is not html per se - all other html pages display
25 > properly.
26 > 4) if I stop cupsd, then the browser claims that the request
27 > for http://localhost:631 is refused.
28 >
29 > The evidence suggests to me that there's something unfortunate
30 > happening with whatever occurs when I supply http://localhost:631
31 > to the browser. cupsd is the agent listening at port 631 and it's
32 > the source of the error. I'm guessing that when cupsd supplies the
33 > contents of /usr/share/cups/docs/index.html to the browser, the browser
34 > doesn't realize that it's receiving html and so renders it as raw text.
35 >
36 > John
39 Very strange.... Have you looked at the logs? /var/log/cups/access_log
40 and /var/log/cups/error_log look at a tail of them and compare to the working
41 machines.
42 --
43 Regards, Ernie
44 --