From: John Blinka <jblinka@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cups is broken
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:25:11
1 Ernie Schroder wrote:
2
3 >Make sure that you have the file:
4 >
5 >/usr/share/cups/docs/index.html
6 >
7 >and that it opens as a webpage in a browser Of course I'm assuming that other
8 >html pages display properly.
11 It's there. In fact, that's the file that's being displayed improperly.
12 Its contents are identical to the same file on other systems I own
13 which display correctly, so that's not the problem. And all other
14 html pages display correctly. So...
15
16 1) the problem is not the contents, permissions, or presence
17 of the file - they're all identical to other systems in which
18 the file displays properly. In fact, the file displays
19 properly (almost) if I access it as
20 file:///usr/share/cups/docs/index.html instead of
21 http://localhost:631
22 2) the problem is not specific to a browser - the same behavior
23 occurs with Firefox and Konqueror.
24 3) the problem is not html per se - all other html pages display
25 properly.
26 4) if I stop cupsd, then the browser claims that the request
27 for http://localhost:631 is refused.
28
29 The evidence suggests to me that there's something unfortunate
30 happening with whatever occurs when I supply http://localhost:631
31 to the browser. cupsd is the agent listening at port 631 and it's
32 the source of the error. I'm guessing that when cupsd supplies the
33 contents of /usr/share/cups/docs/index.html to the browser, the browser
34 doesn't realize that it's receiving html and so renders it as raw text.
35
36 John
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list