From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: JMicron confusion
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:01:30
1 On 9/29/06, Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Let me rephrase my question: If I only use SATA drives, non RAID,
3 > they only run through the P975 southbridge, and I should be ok, right?
4
5 Well I don't own one of these things, but it looks like the SATA stuff
6 goes through the JMicron chip, while the RAID is provided by the 975.
7
8 It should be possible to get working, but I expect you'll have trouble
9 with installation. It looks like the JMicron SATA support was added in
10 2.6.18, so I wouldn't really expect the 2006.1 liveCD to use the chip
11 optimally, if at all. You might end up hunting down a different live
12 CD, needing to stage it on a different system, or something else
13 similarly difficult.
14
15 -Richard
16 --