From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Gentoos community communication rant
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 15:45:17
1 Al wrote:
2
3 >> Al,
4 >>
5 >> Do everyone a favor. Go use Gmane and tell us what exactly
6 >> you'd be able to do that Gmane does not already do.
7 >> It's archived, search-able (via keywords) and many, many
8 >> other very cool features.
9 >
10 > I do you favour and confirm that it is a very cool web interface to
11 > newsgroups. It is especially usefull if you have to switch between
12 > machines. It is good that they mirror the gentoo mailing lists and
13 > give them an archive. As long as you work from the same desktop a
14 > classical newsreader seems still more comfortable to me.
15 >
16 > However, my concern was why the Gentoo community doesn't make use of
17 > those cool features and officially only advertises and keeps a mailing
18 > list, that has no history itself for example and how this approach
19 > influences and limits the culture of communication.
20
21 Gmane is actually not only a web interface, it *is* also a news server.
22 Infact this posting is written from my newsreader ...
23
24 - Jörg