From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:14:15
1 On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 03:45 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 00:03:44 -0600, Dale wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Well, that is one of the things I want to change. I have several
6 > >> reasons for wanting to change this mess. One is a file system change
7 > >> and the other is to use LVM for stuff. I basically want LVM for
8 > >> everything but root itself and /boot of course.
9 > >
10 > > If you're already using an initramfs to mount /usr, you may as well put
11 > > root on LVM too and let it mount that too. Alternatively, have a small /,
12 > > a few hundred MB, and no separate /boot.
17 > That could be a good idea. I got other issues right now.
18 >
19 > I decided to do a fresh install on the larger drive. I sort of like to
20 > brush up every once in a while. I got to the point where I want to do a
21 > emerge -e system then copy my world file over and finish it up. It
22 > appears that the stage3 tarball is in a state where not much can be
23 > upgraded. Every time I try to update something, I get a list of blocks,
24 > either packages or USE flags.
25 >
26 > I'm going to try to beat some sense into this a while longer then I'm
27 > going to bed, right after rm -rfv /mnt/gentoo/* is started. ;-)
28 >
29 > Dale
30 >
34 ah LVM, dont you just love it ... just ran low on space on a /home
35 partition across town. ok, reclaim some space from /var/data which at
36 1.4T has plenty to spare. Once Ive finished I noticed a "small"
37 problem ... typed 1G instead of 1T when shrinking /var/data, and the
38 89Gb packet capture I had there is toast :(
39
40 One of those "Ah F..." moments ... love backups.
41
42 Billk