From: "Marko Kocić" <marko.kocic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Net / dhcp (miss)behaviour
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:39:31
1 > Actually, as long as the interface is up, you can sniff traffic even if
2 > it does not have an IP address. Emerge wireshark (somehow...), do (as
3 > root) an "ip link set eth0 up" (or "ifconfig eth0 up") and run
4 > wireshark. Start capturing packets, run dhcpcd from the command line (or
5 > whatever DHCP client you use), and see what goes on the wire. You should
6 > see DHCP discovery/offer/request messages, or maybe not all of them if
7 > things are not working correctly. For each DHCP packet, look at the DHCP
8 > payload details from wireshark (you can save the capture for later
9 > viewing too).
10 >
11 > Then, start windows, install wireshark for windows, and do the same. To
12 > force a DHCP negotiation in windows, open a command prompt and issue
13 > an "ipconfig /release" followed by an "ipconfig /renew" (IIRC). Look at
14 > the traffic captured after the /renew command, and look for obvious or
15 > blatant differences between windows and linux in DHCP packets of the
16 > same kind.
17
18 Thanks for the info. I'll try that.
19
20 Also, I just found by googling that there is dhcp client called
21 net-misc/pump which
22 have --win-client-ident option. I'll try that too.
23
24 Regards,
25 Marko
26 --