From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Net / dhcp (miss)behaviour
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:34:13
1 On Friday 18 January 2008, Marko Kocić wrote:
2
3 > > I never used cable modem and don't know how it connects to the PC,
4 > > so I might be saying something completely wrong here,
5 >
6 > Regular network cable going directly from cable modem to laptop.
7 >
8 > > but can't you sniff the
9 > > traffic directly from the laptop by capturing packets on the
10 > > interface connected to the cable modem?
11 >
12 > I can do that when interface is up is up and running.
13 > But it is /etc/init.d/net.eth0 that is failing because of dhcp error.
14 >
15 > What should I use? Ethereal? What should I look for?
16
17 Actually, as long as the interface is up, you can sniff traffic even if
18 it does not have an IP address. Emerge wireshark (somehow...), do (as
19 root) an "ip link set eth0 up" (or "ifconfig eth0 up") and run
20 wireshark. Start capturing packets, run dhcpcd from the command line (or
21 whatever DHCP client you use), and see what goes on the wire. You should
22 see DHCP discovery/offer/request messages, or maybe not all of them if
23 things are not working correctly. For each DHCP packet, look at the DHCP
24 payload details from wireshark (you can save the capture for later
25 viewing too).
26
27 Then, start windows, install wireshark for windows, and do the same. To
28 force a DHCP negotiation in windows, open a command prompt and issue
29 an "ipconfig /release" followed by an "ipconfig /renew" (IIRC). Look at
30 the traffic captured after the /renew command, and look for obvious or
31 blatant differences between windows and linux in DHCP packets of the
32 same kind.
33 --
34 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list