From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] logrotate: name of log file after it's rotated?
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 02:02:17
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 25/03/2016 13:46, lee wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> is there a built-in way (like a place holder) to figure out what name a
8 >> rotated log file has been given by logrotate?
9 >>
10 >> Here's what I'm trying to do:
13 >> ,---- [ cat /etc/logrotate.d/exim }
14 >> | /var/log/exim/exim*.log {
15 >> | daily
16 >> | missingok
17 >> | rotate 800
18 >> | compress
19 >> | delaycompress
20 >> | notifempty
21 >> | create 640 mail mail
22 >> | postrotate
23 >> | /usr/sbin/eximstats <name-of-rotated-file> | mail -s "eximstats" root
24 >> | endscript
25 >> | }
26 >> `----
29 >> I want <name-of-rotated-file> replaced with the name the log file that
30 >> has been rotated has been renamed to. I can think of ways to do this
31 >> otherwise, like writing a script that figures out the name of the file,
32 >> or using 'prerotate' instead.
33 >>
34 >> It just won't make any sense if logrotate doesn't already have some kind
35 >> of place holder for this.
39 > It depends. There are options to tell logrotate to use, or not use,
40 > dates in the new filename, and what compression to use or not use. So
41 > the names can vary.
42
43 Exactly, and that's why there needs to be some sort of place holder for
44 the file name.
45
46 > By far the easiest solution is to put your "| mail" into prerotate
47 > section. That way you know exactly what the name is. Or maybe not due to
48 > that * in the name glob...
49
50 The problem is that the file can be written to while it is being
51 examined when the examination is performed before it is rotated. That
52 can lead to false results of the examination.
53
54 > Perhaps look into renamecopy described in man logrotate
55
56 Thanks, that sounds as if it will provide exactly what I'm looking for
57 :)