From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python, my nemesis
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:34:24
1 On Mon, 2021-09-20 at 15:56 +0200, Gerrit Kuehn wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, this was the suggested way to go, see
4 > https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2021-05-05-python3-9.html
5
6 It was only suggested for a period of about three weeks:
7
8 We are planning to switch the default Python target of Gentoo systems
9 on 2021-06-01, from Python 3.8 to Python 3.9. If you have not
10 changed the values of PYTHON_TARGETS or PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET, the
11 change will have immediate effect on your system and the package
12 manager will try to switch automatically on the next upgrade
13 following the change.
16 > But also when trying "emerge -1vUD @world" (be it with or without the
17 > package.use settings), I get stuck in conflicts (mostly on perl and
18 > setuptools). perl issues would probably resolve once I have EAPI8
19 > support, i.e. get new portage.
23 You can try --backtrack=200 (or a larger value) to fix that; it was a
24 problem for a lot of people. Even though the end result of both
25 approaches is "it doesn't work," I promise you you're better off not
26 messing with the python stuff until the system is fully upgraded.
27 Upgrading a year-old system is hard enough, and the introduction of
28 EAPI=8 just made it worse.