From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] zcache + frontswap + cleancache: Am I missing something?
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:08:25
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 19.11.2012 18:51, schrieb Kerin Millar:
3 >> Florian Philipp wrote:
4 >>> Hi list!
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm wondering about the usage of frontswap and cleancache. Now that all
7 >>> pieces are in place in kernel-3.5, is it actually used?
8 >>>
9 >>> I've found references to cleancache and frontswap in several source
10 >>> files of the kernel (ext4, swapfile, page_io, ...).
11 >>> /sys/kernel/mm/zcache is also present but seems to indicate no usage at
12 >>> all. Content attached below.
13 >> It might be that you have enabled some of these options as loadable
14 >> modules: CONFIG_ZCACHE, CONFIG_CLEANCACHE and CONFIG_FRONTSWAP. If so,
15 >> build them directly into the kernel image instead.
16 >>
17 >> Cheers,
18 >>
19 >> --Kerin
22 > You cannot build these as modules. Anyway, I'm recompiling right now
23 > with debugfs and configfs. Let's see if that tells me anything.
24 >
25 > Regards,
26 > Florian Philipp
29 Ah, good to know. I know that it was possible in some older kernels -
30 while the feature was still in staging - but it must have since been fixed.
31
32 --Kerin